"When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure."
Today is my Papa's birthday and also the anniversary of his passing away. I miss him. He was such a gentle soul- full of laughter and fun. The last few years of his life were spent mostly sleeping- he had many, many health problems. But somehow, what I remember of Papa are the years when we were small. He wore his love for us on his face and in his voice. He remembered jokes for weeks just so he could tell them to me the minute he saw me. And they were such goofy jokes. Sometimes it was hard to come up with a convincing laugh, but I am so glad I did. I wouldn't have hurt his feelings for the world. He loved and collected gorillas. We kept an eye out everywhere we went for a gorilla that might top the one we had last gotten him. He also loved pewter statues and belt buckles. And shells. And owls. He had shelves of them. He took wicked delight out of getting away with something that my grandma didn't want him to do. He had a funny little hand gesture that he would use after she walked away just to be ornery. One of the other things that I loved so much about Papa is that he loved to be involved. He went everywhere with us as long as he could. Sometimes, all he could manage was to sit in the front of the store and wait. But he still came. And never fails, but that he had made friends with two or three people waiting with him. That man never ever met a stranger. He talked to anyone and everyone. Loved kids. He had this dry sense of humor that people responded to. We used to joke that we could always tell how sick he was by how much he was joking with the nurses. If the man was conscious, he was joking. I wish he could have met Anna. He would have thought that she was the best thing ever. He did think that about his grandkids. Papa- I still love and miss you everyday. I will never forget how much you loved me. What a treasure your love and company was. I am so thankful for the years and time we had with you.
2 comments:
Amber, beautiful blog. Grandparents hold such a special place in our hearts. I will never forget the day my grandma died, November 2, 1996. I still think about her everyday. One of my favorite memories is when she would take saltine crackers spread peanut butter on top with a little sprinkle of sugar. Umm..Thanks for reminding us to "treasure" the ones we have, while we still have them.
Amber,
Papa was very special, and I'm glad we can remember him with such great memories and stories. I wish he would have lived to see me married and to meet Anna. Wouldn't he have been crazy over her? I miss him everyday too, especially yesterday. Maybe we can go put flowers on his grave sometime, I would really like that. Maybe find a new gorilla for him too.
Post a Comment