I stole that title from a text from my sister-in-law just to give the appropriate credit. (question: after all these years do I still have to call her sis-in-law? or am I good with just sister- cause that's really what she is...)
ok on to the reason for my post- I think I encountered my first "eww gross" in the course of my nursing career. And yes as a disclaimer- I realize I will be doing MUCH MUCH grosser things than this- but it makes a good story to start grossing you all out with. :) I am in microbiology this semester- its interesting and boring at the same time. For our lab yesterday, we had some extra credit available to those who needed/wanted it. Three things were needed to complete this project- all samples of our "normal flora" -microorganisms that exist in/on our bodies at all times and as long as we are healthy, actually help us in various ways. For those of you that didn't know that you have microscopic creepy crawlies on and in your bodies all the time- I am sorry to be the one to bring that to your attention. Anyways, back to the samples.... we needed a throat swab, a spit sample....and you guessed it- a rectal swab. All together now...."ewwww!" For everyone's peace of mind- I'll just tell you that I totally made my lab partner do the rectal swab because she needs the extra credit and I don't! Sometimes studying DOES pay off :) The bad part is that next week we have to observe the cultures (yes we had to incubate and grow the microorganisms obtained from the swabs- just like they do in a medical lab) and also make microscope slides of everything. Now I just have to convince her to do the slides as well....
3 comments:
I feel sick inside......literally and figuratively
I don't care how bad I needed extra credit, I wouldn't be swabbing my rear end and allowing it to grow in front of the class!!! Ahhhh!! Btw.... Funny pun on the title :)
Ok, I've been through most of those "ewww" labs, but I NEVER was asked to stick something up my butt and then grow whatever happened to attach itself to the swab! So here's my formal "ewwwwwwwww!"
Post a Comment