Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ambitions

I saw a moon just now as I was running out my garbage. (romantic right?) The moon was so pretty- the clouds drifting lazily over it. The rest of the sky was cloudless-all the clouds were surrounding the moon almost like they were sucking up the last bit of light in the sky. It made me wish I had one of the wonderful high powered cameras that you can capture really artistic scenery with. One day.
I have a lot of "one days" these days. I almost feel like I completely wasted my 20's. I had all the time in the world and at some points, more than enough money to pay for all the things I would love to have time and extra money laying around for now. Things like taking photography lessons with all the newest equipment. Or learning to decorate cakes. Flower arranging. Traveling. Etc. Etc.
I am on the road to fulfilling a big "one day" right now however. I am so happy with the choice that I made- just taking that blind step of faith is such a big deal to a person who has so far lived her life mostly in fear because whatever she tries might...gasp... not be done perfectly or might not work out.
I don't have a lot of extra time right now and we don't have millions of dollars laying around the house for me to go blow on tons of equipment that might not get used or trips that can be put off til later. But I am still trying to start working on small "one days". I have talked about some of them. Starting to learn to plant and garden without killing the plants so that I can have a full fledged garden that we eat out of "one day". Learning to cook different and better things rather than just spaghetti. (not that there's anything wrong with spaghetti- yum!) Blogging to practice my writing skills. I keep trying to conquer this exercise/eating healthy thing. That one is escaping me at the moment but I will conquer it! Learning to build and fix things. Running a 5K all the way through. Again...etc etc! I have so many things that I want to try and so many things I want to learn!
So while I toil away in school to get that great big "one day" accomplished, I will enjoy the small ones that come my way. The small chances to learn something new, to try something different, to take a chance on painting or writing or taking a photo with my baby digital camera (thanks to Robin and Kem for that beautiful camera that has taken so many precious photos of my kiddo). I think I am even going to give flying one of Adam's helicopters a chance. Not the big one cause dang would that suck if I crashed that! (: But hey, why not? I wasted way too much time being afraid of failure and now that I have a little more self-confidence and a bigger desire to learn and grow and try- why shouldn't I? (:
When that big "one day" of becoming a nurse and working with my pregnant ladies and babies (please God?) is fulfilled then the door will be open to some of my other big "one days". Then won't we have fun!

3 comments:

Stacey Stafford said...

Wow! That was inspiring. I think we got our love of the night sky from dad. I have wonderful memories of being outside late at night, heads lifted to the sky, watching for shooting stars! Thanks for sharing that moon.

Julie said...

Great blog. I was kinda feeling like that the other day...about wasting away my 20's. I didn't appreciate the free time I had. Maybe that's why it's so valuable now. Anyways, love this blog.

Kara said...

Ambitions are good. You seem to have a lot of them and you are moving in the right direction for them all to come true. You should be proud of yourself and your drive to get you back in school. Nursing girl - here you come!!!