School is going fantastically! I got through my first official nursing school test. In pharmacology. Which is not as bad as I thought it would be. It is hard though- there is a LOT of information out there. And those drugs do a LOT of things in the body. That's pretty much the summary of what I learned- that they do a LOT. :) I just finished (and passed) my first set of skill checks so woo hoo about that! One more test this week and then I can relax for about a day before it all starts over again. Next Monday we get to learn how to put in a catheter. Somehow I don't think I'll have so many volunteers to be practiced on for that one. I LOVE what I am learning, LOVE what I am doing. I am so excited about all if it. Well, excited in between the times when I am super nervous about passing a test or skill! I am more convinced than ever that this is where I am supposed to be. That's probably the first time aside from being Anna's momma that I've ever said that. Also, I really am enjoying the people in the program- everyone so far is great and friendly and I actually find myself being social- no one fall over from the shock of that statement please.
We've had a few funny moments- embarrassed myself a few times. I told my clinical instructor that normal blood pressure is 80/20. I DO KNOW what blood pressure is supposed to be mind you. It just slipped out somehow. It took me over a week of complete obsession over it to figure out that the 80/20 came from a mortgage term from when I worked as a loan processor. Still embarrassing. I also just completely lost control of myself in a computer training class and starting laughing uncontrollably. It's all the fault of the people sitting on either side of me. It's not my fault. The guy on my right made me laugh by entering himself into the computer as "potato head" and then later on I looked over and he was had changed the font on his screen to 1600 and the letters were so big and thick that he could only see part of a letter at a time so was scrolling and scrolling. Then someone sneezed and it sounded like she just randomly shouted out a number and it was over from there. What? That doesn't sound like enough to make me lose my mind and laugh hysterically? Well, all I can say is you weren't there for 4 hrs straight in a little hot room packed in like sardines... and also sometimes I just go a little nuts. Ask my brother. Let's see.....what else happened...... my clinical partner told my instructor that my capillary refill is good cause my fingernail bed pinked up again (after being gently pushed on) within 30 MINUTES- should be less than 3 seconds. I always have to tell my clinical partner that she is apparently dead because she's the hardest person ever to find pulses or bp on. Even my instructor has trouble with her. Speaking of instructors, one of my instructors is so incredibly flightly. I just want to grab her by the shoulders and shake her really good and tell her "focus!" She's like a puppy that gets distracted by a butterfly. She'll start off really well then it quickly becomes apparent that she has just wandered off into lala land. Very nice lady and you can tell she knows her stuff- its just getting her to focus long enough to give us the info.
Not much else to tell I suppose. The 4 people I still have a chance to talk to more than twice a month will be bored by this post as I've already told them all this. However, I like to blog, so blog I shall!
1 comment:
I like reading it, even if I have already heard the stories! :)
Post a Comment