- all professors seem extremely nice and willing to go the extra mile to help you learn.
- looks like my first couple weeks/months(?) of clinicals will actually be at the school instead of with real patients. probably smart on their part!
- first procedure we'll learn is to put in iv's and give shots.
- today we broke into teams and made paper chains to demonstrate the importance of communication and teamwork..... I think that's enough said about that.
- I am now only missing one scrub top (I have the other one) so I will be fully dressed the first day of school. Always a plus! Also, everything fits.... so another plus!
- Most of the people in my class seem very nice and not irritating... I say most because of my next point.
- We do have the obligatory "I know more than everyone else and I have more stories and an inappropriate amount of enthusiasm to prove it" person in the class
- I already have TONS of reading to do
- I bought a book on how to take nursing school tests- because apparently they are unlike anything taken in a normal classroom.
MultipleseveralmanyA whole heck of a lot of people have told me this. I guess they want you to "really understand and apply the concepts" as opposed to just memorizing. So that's irritating. No, JUST KIDDING- obviously this is a very important skill considering what we will be doing shortly! - watched yet another heartwrenchingly sad video that made me cry in front of total strangers about medical errors. I really hope that is the last one of those that they spring on us.
- The syllabus for my first class is 24 pages long. That is NOT an exaggeration. The second class syllabus is 18 pages long. JUST THE SYLLABUS!
- One class has 345 points available in the whole semester. That means I can miss only 34 points to keep an A. I think my liking of B's just increased by a very large amount.
- Overall, still very impressed with the program!
"Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself." ~George Bernard Shaw
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Orientation so far
Ok there is not a whole heck of a lot to report.... Orientation so far has actually been just a little boring. Here are the highlights.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hate to burst your bubble, but teachers are evil and just haven't shown their true colors yet.
Being fully dressed is always a plus.
We actually have an entire chapter dedicated to how to answer hygiene board questions
24 page syllabi (syllabuses?) should be illegal
I'm pretty sure that one of our students faked a seizure in class....just sayin'.....
Ok...I wouldn't even read the whole syllabus b/c that is ridiculous. The 34 points is plenty for you...don't you usuallly just miss a couple per class :) You'll still get an A. Also, zone out the annoying girl like we do our kids :) That should help!!
That is SOOOOOO not fair. They didn't teach us how to do IVs and give injections until our 3rd semester...1st semester all we did was the boring stuff: bed baths, NG tubes, foleys, etc.
Oh, and I'm sure you'll figure this out pretty quickly, but sticking a needle in a hot dog or an orange (or any other type of food product they decide mimics the human skin) doesn't exactly feel the same as the real thing :)
Have fun! And if you have any questions, frustrations, want to vent about how much nursing school blows, or have cool stories you want to talk about with someone who doesn't a)give you a blank stare because they have no idea what you're talking about or b)look at you like you're crazy for thinking gross things are cool, you can always call or email.
Post a Comment