Oh...........my...............heavens............ I might be in a little bit of trouble with this chemistry class. Here's an account of my school adventures so far....so much darkness!
warning: this is a long long post...
I'll start with the not so bad, but still pretty irritating and move right down the list to the "I almost quit on my 2nd day". (not really- I swear that dumb class is NOT going to beat me!)Just so this makes some sense- the plan was to spend Anna's naptime and scheduled, after-nap movietime to do my homework/studying.
1. Sent my first assignment for my online class to the teacher using their handy dandy little dropbox. Didn't trust it at all, so sent a note with it to the professor asking her to let me know it was received. Then didn't trust that little note, so emailed her too. Then realized I didn't put the "required BIO 130" wording in the subject so had to resend it again. Poor woman. She'll probably request that I not take anymore of her online classes.
2. Spent my first study time on Monday getting my stubborn printer to actually grab the paper instead of just telling me that it was out when I knew darn good and well that there were like 50 pieces right there in the tray! Stupid printer.
3. Then, once I got it working I spent the remaining time printing out 35-odd pages of nutrition power point notes. Now, don't assume from the 35 pages of notes that this is a super hard class with a ton of information on the first chapter. Nope- I just didn't know that it would print out exactly as it appears on screen with like 3 pieces of information in 3,000 font size on one page. So, that whole time was basically just wasted.
4. Had Chemistry class Monday night. The professor is like 5 years old. Ok, probably more like 5 years YOUNGER than me! Wow. That was depressing. She also spent the whole hour talking about how simple the material we were going over was, how basic, how it was all review. People- I had never heard of significant numbers EVER. I, like a dummy, thought all numbers were significant cause why the hell else would we have to learn about them? Geez, I hate math.
5. After basically just saying out loud "anyone who doesn't remember how to do this right away is stupid and shouldn't be in this class" she flew through all the rest of it so fast that I got a burn on my hand trying to write down all the notes fast enough.
6. Tuesday, I sat down at my computer to watch the cd-rom so nicely provided for our labwork. Popped that baby in and started taking notes. Two hours later,(literally) I am thinking "wow, this is so much information. I'm not even halfway done with the cd, much less even touching the reading and questions and memorizing my element symbols." (random piece of information for you- the symbol for Mercury is Hg. Just in case you ever need to know that while you are cooking up experiments at your house.)I finally text my friend taking the class with me and she tells me I was only supposed to watch the safety portion of the video which was like 10 mins long.
7.So, after trying to finish all my lab homework for the entire semester in one day, I sit down and take notes on the first chemistry chapter. Since I was trying to understand what I so stupidly did not the first day, I wrote practically the whole chapter down. And I actually understood most of that so that was a slight light in the black darkness.
8. Went to lecture on Wed feeling good about all my work and the slight light that was appearing. Took my elements quiz- think I did ok. Got through the lecture understanding most of it... cause after all, it IS just review. (: Then.... horror of horrors, she goes a little further than I studied. Sigh. I didn't panic at that exact point though.
9. The panic didn't come until about halfway through the lab when I realized I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do. Oh, the darkness. I got stuck with a girl that understood even less than I did (I can't believe that's even possible). I can't even describe the lab because I was so flustered at this point that it's all a horrible blur. A horrible blur. (shudder) All I really remember is her saying things like "I don't usually help in labs this much, you know" and "see, this is where you apply all the stuff I just told you in class" and when we told her we were sorry we were holding her up from leaving (with still 20 mins of scheduled lab time remaining, mind you) and that we hope she didn't have anything important to do... "no, just loading up my WHOLE car for an overnight trip...".
10. Came home and studied up on some basic algebra. Because after all, I did love it the first time around right? Just so you know, the little librarian in my head is having to dig in files that were closed up and put away on very high, very dusty shelves about 14 years ago. And she's a little pissed about it! So don't judge me for not remembering all this!
11. It was my birthday yesterday too. Just to top it all off. Crappy day on my birthday. AND I turned 31. 31!
Send me some encouraging comments if you managed to get through this book of a post!
4 comments:
I've known you for almost 10 years. Through that time your life has had the most amazing "ups," but also some really low "downs." You survived CTS, the passing of your very loved grandpa, your husband living in a different city to support his family the first 6 weeks of Anna's life, etc....If anything was going to break you it would be one of those, not Chemistry. Chemistry will not break you. You are stronger than that and have proved it time after time.
Wow. I am SO not envious of you right now. Way to go girl for getting even this far and putting yourself back in the schooling game. You get props.
Also - All i can do is keep laughing at your Sonic title.
So....much....darkness! Hilarious.
I have to agree with Julie! This will NOT break you! You are way too strong for that. I've totally been there as you know. Those stupid teachers make you feel so dumb. Screw her, she's just trying to make her life easier. I promise, you will get through this class! Then you can take the Anatomy and Micro classes, they are way funner! I'm so proud of you for facing your fears and going back!
I think you should punch that b***h in the face. Then if she doesn't give you an A, blow up her car.
Thats just me though...
Post a Comment