Saturday, March 6, 2010

Essay

I wrote this essay a few months ago for a scholarship for my nursing program. They sent out invitations to eligible people in the program then we had to provide letters of recommendation and an essay on why we wanted to be a nurse. Of course I managed to see only the part requesting an essay and set it aside to do a couple weeks before it was due. When I went to write the essay, I realized I had to have letters. Panic! I almost didn't even mess with it. That is a crazy thought. I did however, scramble around frantically and bother a bunch of people I have worked for, worked with, or been taught by. I am so grateful to everyone that wrote recomendations for me. After we turned all that in, 5 people were chosen for an interview. I had my interview this last Tuesday. There were 10 different people interviewing me- both from the college and from the hospital. The man that left the money to the hospital "had a soft spot" for nurses and left a multi-million dollar fund to educate nurses. It was interesting to meet everyone associated with the school and hospital.

I thought I'd post my winning essay on here. Since I'm sharing all stress and exhaustion and joy and embarrassment, I figured I'd share why I'm doing it all as well!



I became interested in a nursing career while I was pregnant with my daughter. The care I received from nurses during my pregnancy deeply impressed me. I felt drawn to the profession and the possibility of ministry to women in need of a nurse they could feel comfortable with during a very emotional and vulnerable time. The seed of possibility was planted.

As I researched the profession and searched my own heart, I became even more excited about the avenues of both outreach and personal fulfillment that nursing offers. During this time, my grandfather became ill and was in and out of the hospital. Our family was thrown into the midst of the worry and uncertainty that inevitably follows hand in hand with a loved one's illness. We saw many nurses and aides during his stays and I gained a better understanding of just how great an impact that a nurse can have on the patient and the family.

I began my prerequisite classes with a quaking heart and fear in my throat that I would not be able to complete my classes after all the years out of college. I was excited, relieved and exhilarated to find that not only was I able to keep up with the work, I was able to excel. My second semester I completed my first anatomy and physiology class and I was completely hooked. I loved the coursework and the details of the human body.

Last summer, my beloved grandfather passed away after what was supposed to be a routine procedure. He was in the hospital and beginning to recover when his heart stopped. The team at the hospital that night was able to get his heart restarted but he never regained consciousness. We sat by his bedside for a few final days. The nurse in his critical care unit made the biggest impression on me. She was so very compassionate while dealing with the family and incredibly gentle and caring towards a man that in all actuality probably never even knew she was there. She was honest with me about his condition, but she spoke with such genuine empathy. I was so grateful to her for the concern she showed for my grandpa and for the dignity with which she accorded to him, even when he was unable to do one single thing for himself. This experience left me with a profound desire not only to be a nurse, but also to minister to people that are in need, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

I continue to be incredibly excited about the different possibilities that a career in nursing offers. I hope to continue to learn throughout my career and to be able to hold onto the excitement that I feel now. My goal moving forward is to become both an excellent nurse and a compassionate caretaker to every patient. I believe this is the ministry that I have been called to and I sincerely hope that I never take that for granted.

No comments: