Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wise words

Had a nice talk with a friend tonight. This post will make my husband slap his forehead, sigh, and say "haven't I told you that a million times? Why don't you ever listen to ME?" ha!

Anyways, she basically told me to calm down and quit being so freaking obsessive. :) Grade-wise I mean. Ok, more than just grade wise but that was what we were talking about specifically. I don't know where this compulsion to be perfect grade wise came from but it is WEARING ME DOWN man. Like to the point that I am having horrible anxiety when I go to pick up my notes for a test because "what if it doesn't go stick in my head!?!" and "What if I don't study the right things!?!" and "OMG, WHAT IF I DON'T MAKE AN .....gulp....A!?!" I've actually starting putting off studying til the last minute - not because I just don't want to study (cause obviously, I am a nerd and I enjoy studying....) but because I am so freaking anxious about it!  Dont' get me wrong- I've had numerous people over the years tell me to slow down, not freak out so much, not be such a perfectionist with my grades, it's all the same degree even with B's, and my favorite "C's equal degrees!" It's just that in the past I could keep up with the frantic-ness of test times because that's all there was to what I was doing. This is just ... different. And I've also sacrificed (as Adam will gladly attest to) a lot of myself in the process. So, all that to say.... I've decided to take everyone's advice... and while of course trying to do my best and get my A's that I love so dearly, I am also going to HAVE to stop worrying so dang much about it and enjoy the process a little more... put some more time into other healthy habits that will only further my brain power :) and also some more time into things that make me happy. Cause dang... I'm gonna end up locked in the crazy house if I don't find another way to handle all this.

*official credit given to Adam for trying over and over to drill this into my head for years and years*

oh and since apparently it wasn't completely obvious *official credit given to Adam for telling me what the problem was with my gloves in a previous post*   :) I'm gonna have to start listening to him more- as irritating as that is..... I hate it when he's right.

No comments: